Monday 13 June 2011

Bangkok yet again

Thursday 9 June: Arriving at Hua Lamphong station at 6am I catch the river bus to Bella Bella House, take a room and head directly to the Russian embassy on the other side of the city. "Sorry Sir, we cannot issue you with a tourist visa as you don't have a proper Thai visa." I explain that British nationals don't need a Thai visa, just a little rubber stamp at the border which I have - it doesn't help. I'll have to try again in Laos but I know I can only get a Russian transit visa in China which means I wouldn't be able to break my Trans-Siberian rail journey in Russia. This rather defeats the point of doing it.
So, time to do some running repairs before catching the sleeper to Vientiane in Laos on Sunday night. At Mission Clinic in Kho San Road I renew my Japanese encephalitis cover with the first of two doses of the new live vaccine and get a very average traditional Thai massage.

Saturday 11: Buy a Laos guidebook, get my trainers repaired and visit my favourite temple, Wat Pho, for a very good, but expensive Thai massage at the medical massage school there. In the afternoon I take a look around the marble temple, Wat Ben, with it's collection of bronze Buddhas.
A few more photos of Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment