Tuesday 26 June 2012

Doi Inthanon

DSCN7143 by DavetreksSaturday 12 May: Nacho's pretty Thai girlfriend, Kim, has organised a covered pick-up truck with driver for the day so, after a quick breakfast, we pile in the back - Kim, Nacho, Rachael, Jin, Yuki and myself . It's exciting - a day trip to Doi Inthanon, Thailand's highest mountain. Like most mountain peaks in Thailand it is also of great Buddhist significance and as such it's accessible with twin temples near the summit. You can drive to the top which is disappointing but the temples are great. On the way back we stop for a swim at a waterfall then visit a temple where Nacho studied meditation. Behind her smile Kim is sad - Nacho is leaving tonight.
Nacho and Yuki are taking the night bus to Bangkok to fly home and Yuki asks if I'll go with them so, once again, I'm heading for the overnight train to Bangkok. It's all a bit of a rush as I have to cycle into Chiang Mai to return my bike. "Hurry or you will miss the train" is the last words I remember Yuki saying which make me very happy - I try to panic - I have a quick beer with Jin - a gulp really - then peddling like hell to the city I get caught up in the chaos of Chiang Mai's Saturday market which blocks the street. Eventually I reach the station, buy a ticket and jump on a moving train to Bangkok - made it.
Photos of Doi Inthanon.

No comments:

Post a Comment