Friday 2 March 2012

Khao Sok

Saturday 18 February: Taking a bus to Phanom (100Bt) I flag down a minibus (100Bt) heading to Khao Sok National Park and, after looking at several resorts, I settle into a comfortable hut at Mung House (300Bt).
Sunday 19: My reason for staying here is to take a trip on the the park's large lake and I take a bus along the main highway to Batakun (70Bt) but there's no onward public transport to Rajjaphapa Dam so I'm forced to take a motorcycle taxi (150Bt) for the final 12 kilometres. A boat trip on the lake is prohibitively expensive as I'd have to charter a whole boat for myself, pity. Instead I take a stroll to a nearby viewpoint to take in the lake scenery but I really want to be closer, probably best done as an organised overnight tour - next time.
Monday 20: My visa is running out so I need to get out of Thailand. Bus to Surat Thani train station (120Bt), 2nd class sleeper to Bangkok (698Bt), Metro to Sukhumvit-Asok, Skytrain to Mo Chit, motorbike taxi to Mo Chit bus station, bus to Aranya Prathet (212Bt), motorbike taxi to what turns out to be a bogus border post where I'm charged 1,200Bt for what should have been a 800Bt Cambodian visa (yes, caught by a scam), bus to Siem Reap ($9).
Photos of Khao Sok National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment