Friday 27 May 2011

Yarra Valley

Monday 9 May: I'm running out of visa time so I'm forced to opt for a day tour of the Yarra Valley including lunch and a structured tasting at four wineries. First is Yering Station's three reds where, once again, I go through the seven 's' process to sample their wines: see, sniff, sip, slurp, swallow, spit (optional) and savour. Their 2009 red cherry pinot noir is good but their sangiovese and shiraz viognier not so. Next is Rochford Wines where I enjoy their 2010 late-picked chardonnay, a 2008 cabernet sauvignon and a 2009 shiraz. Yering Farm Wines, a pretty litle family run boutique winery, is next: a 2008 merlot, a 2006 cabernet sauvignon, a nice 2004 pinot noir and a late-harvest desert wine. Lunch is at Domaine Chandon with smooth bubbly and a nice 2008 shiraz. Good day, but wish I had more time to cycle around some of the the other vineyards.
Photos of the Yarra Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment