Tuesday 22 June 2010

Vietnam: Sapa

Monday 21 June: Finally I'm in north Vietnam - it's raining. Light rain is forecast for tomorrow and heavy rain for the next five days, so I'll not be trekking to ethnic minority villages or climbing Fansipan (10,311ft), Vietnam's highest peak - pity.
Tuesday 22: I'm a multi-millionaire!
I leave the bank's ATM with 2,000,000 dong in my pocket, sadly only worth about £70. As I walk around the town's pretty little lake it rains. It's hot and humid - yes, I'm back in the tropics. Suddenly, after lunch, the clouds clear and I run through European Garden and up Ham Rong Mountain to take in the views. It's still clear and the sun is shining so I rush back down and take a two-hour trek around the rice terraces of nearby Cat Cat village returning to the hotel just in time to join Liza and Eric for the bus to Lao Cai and a hard sleeper berth on the 8:45pm express to Hanoi.
Pictures of Sapa and Cat Cat village.

No comments:

Post a Comment